Hydrogen Fuel Cell Engineer
We are recruiting a specialist engineer with experience in integrating, commissioning, and testing fuel cell systems. This position will be instrumental for our initial powerplant tests that integrate an energy generation system based on hydrogen fuel cells to power our propulsion system for aviation. Our ideal candidate should have worked on hydrogen powerplants for mobility applications, like hydrogen powered vehicles like trucks, buses or industrial vehicles. Any experience or exposure to aviation and the aerospace industry will be a clear differentiator and highly regarded.
This position is initially based in Melbourne, Australia. As Dovetail is also growing a team in Seville, Spain, candidates based in Spain and not interested to relocate to Australia permanently are also welcome to apply.
As Dovetail’s Hydrogen Fuel Cell Engineer you will:
- Drive the integration of all relevant components of a hydrogen fuel cell as part of our Energy on board system, including auxiliary subsystems and balance of plant, like compressors, heat exchangers, hydrogen tanks, etc.
- Develop conversion concepts and structural modifications for integration into the existing aircraft in accordance with industry standards and certification regulation
- Detailed sizing of all critical elements using sound engineering methodologies
- Technical contribution in systems engineering activities for the integration and qualification of our integrated electric aircraft platforms, including development of specific components.
- Identification of commercial components, definition of requirements and specifications and supplier management
- Use systems engineering skills, identify program requirements, verification methods, analyses plan and qualification and test programs
- Work with internal and external teams, customers and suppliers, throughout our product development cycle, to manage requirements plan, system validation and verification.
- Support Certification documents preparation
- Review compliance of design to specifications and requirements, review conformance of project documents to requirements
- Manage the requirements change process, identifying customers’ priorities and recording conflicts between individual requirements.
- Contribute to our integrated Powerplant architecture design, as well as our ground tests integrating SIL and HIL components
- Development of testing regime including supporting documentation and data collection
To be successful in this role you will have:
- BEng plus Masters Degree in Systems Engineering, Aeronautical or Mechanical Engineering
- At least 2 years of experience in Design and/or integration of fuel cells, cooling systems for Fuel Cells, Power electronics, Balance of Plant into hydrogen energy systems for powertrains.
- Working knowledge of thermal management solutions such as heat pumps and phase change cooling for batteries or other energy storage systems.
- Working experience in safety analysis of H2 systems integration (fuel cell, cooling systems, hydrogen tanks), using tools like DFMEA and PFMEA ro develop test plans.
- Direct experience with Electric Vehicles will be highly regarded
- Experience with broad array of engineering tools / languages including MatLab, Simulink, Python or C++
- Proficiency with CAD systems like CATIA or SolidWorks will be highly regarded, as well as experience with FEA and CFD packages like ANSYS, Nastran/Patran or FLUENT (CFD)
- Excellent organizational, planning, and follow-up skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, and ability to work effectively with others
- Fluent in English. Working knowledge of Spanish will be highly regarded
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com